Friday, September 6, 2013

The Guatemalan

Because of a puncture wound to the coffee baggie by my probe thermometer, this week's coffee is the Guatemalan. After checking for it on Sweet Maria's website, I don't see it listed under Guatemala, so I think I got some of the end of the batch. Which is fine.

Last week, after roasting it and doing it up for a week in the French Press, I was not too impressed. It was grassy, it hung onto the husk. It was acidic, and I think it was giving me a bit of a stomach ache. 

This afternoon, I roasted it a bit darker. I intended to mix it with the Sumatran coffee to see what it would do. However, my darling lady got overwhelmed by the fumes, and I had enough coffee for a few days just with the Guatemalan. 

Since it was roasted darker, it revealed a lot of new notes to it. I also made a little bit more of an effort to remove the chafe. Rather than trying to roast based off the time, I used the sound of the cracking to guide me with each batch. It took me a while to realize that as I go, the inner chamber of my popper will stay hot, and be hotter and hotter at the beginning of the next two teaspoons. 

Doing this way worked out for the best, and I would up with a much more even roast. Of course, I only let the coffee rest a few hours before putting it in the French Press. It is smooth with a dark caramel flavor to it. There is a bit of a rounded nuttiness to it, but not to a lip smacking extent. 

It will be interesting to see how this coffee matures over the next couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment