Friday, October 25, 2013

Disaster...

Or really, a real pain in the ass annoyance.

I was planning on discussing a new acquisition today I picked up in Goodwill. I found an older looking coffee pot that seemed like it came from a some drip coffee machine. It had a nice Erlenmeyer flask shape with a wide bottom and a funnel top. I picked it up, and I had plans to clean it up and convert it into a hand drip coffee machine with a strainer tweaked to hold a Hario Filter.

It also had a handle on it, which I would have liked for everyday use over the Chemex. I thought, if I could get this to work, it would be nice to have a back up for the Chemex that would have a handmade or retrofit vibe to it.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

When I was getting it, and a few other things out of the car, I promptly dropped it in the parking lot in front of our apartment. I cut my finger, and disgustedly tossed it into the dumpster.

I did not even get a chance to get a picture on the off chance I find another one.

However, I did venture to Gordman's to check the place out and see what their coffee selection is like. I tracked down the Michael's Coffee brand I mentioned previously and picked up their Wicked Doodle. I made the first pot in the French Press in order to retain as much of the flavored oils as possible.

It is still a smooth, not particularly bitter coffee that hits the tongue fine. I mostly taste the hazelnut rather than anything else. However, I do smell the flavorings. The beans are a mix between light brown and dark, and it makes a rather dark pot of coffee in the press. They are also covered in the fine powders from the flavorings before hitting the grinder.

I am not really blown away by this coffee, but I only picked up an 8oz bag for $3.99. It will serve its purpose for a bit of variety.


No comments:

Post a Comment