Saturday, August 3, 2013

Blends

I have tried doing a couple of blends before. One, at least to me, seemed like a spectacular failure. It was a blend of El Salvador Majahual and a Brazilian coffee we will be writing about later on. I tried it during my first batch. It came out sunny, in that it was a bright and highly acidic blend. It was a burst of tropical fruits like pineapple and papaya. Neither coffee were roasted too far past the first crack.

Some of my testers thought it made the best for chilled, sweetened espresso drinks. Once it was put through the Jura, it really stood out. In time, I might try it again since I have both coffees from the most recent Sweet Maria's batch. The betas loved it enough that I might try it again.

When I roasted up the El Salvadoran coffee by itself, and roasted it darker as it was recommended, it came out beautifully. It was a great learning experience in how one coffee can be different between levels of roast. The El Salvadoran coffee, when roasted properly has a bit of a creaminess to it.

Since I had a good deal of the Burundi, and knew that when roasted to 3:45 minutes, it had a nutty taste to it, and a lingering almond quality, I was curious what it would do to blend it with the El Salvadoran. I roasted the El Salvadoran to its supposed peak at about 4:45 minutes. Then I mixed the two coffees together in the canister. I let it degas for about 24 hours. It was a 2 to 1 ratio of El Salvadoran to Burundi coffee.

I made two French Press pots. My prime beta tester, my girlfriend, was not all that impressed, but she did agree that imparted both taste qualities to the coffee. Overall, I felt it had a nice finish, not too bold, and no weird aftertaste. It was nice and smooth.  However, it did not Wow me.

Though, I think that will be hard to do with all of the experimenting I have been doing lately. It is a shame I am out of the Javanese coffee. I think it might have added a nice compliment to both. We will see how it matures over the next couple days, along with an espresso test.

No comments:

Post a Comment